Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A SMALL TASTE OF BIG SUR

Big Sur.  El Sur Grande. The Big South.

Few places I've been in the world can rival the breathtaking beauty of this remote destination in Central California. As you wind along the jagged rocky cliffs of Pacific Coast Highway 1 from San Simeon up to Carmel-by-the-Sea, over 90 miles of seemingly untouched wilderness spread out before you. (Talk about Americana at its finest!)

It is a magical place with a vast array of landscapes & micro-climates.  You can be looking up at giant Redwood trees one minute, and then out over a field of cacti the next. I've driven through Big Sur several times in my life and every time it is different. The light and the color of the sea changes depending on the time of day and season you're there - it always keeps you on your toes. I love it.

We drove up through Big Sur last Thursday, August 18, 2011 from our home in Orange County, California to the Monterey Peninsula for what has become known as 'Car Week'.  Of course when we set out on this automotive-themed vacation, I envisioned taking loads of car-related photos throughout the trip (Which, I did. More to come on those photos soon!). 

But, as we drove along PCH, the signs for 'Vista Point Ahead' seemed to call my name.  We didn't stop much, but when we did I tried to capture just a very small taste of this amazing place with my camera. I hope you enjoy. And, if you've never been, then start planning that road trip now! I can assure that you won't be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment