Sunday, June 26, 2011

29TH ANNUAL DANA POINT CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE

85 degrees, sunny and gorgeous - welcome to Southern California in late June.  And, what a perfect setting for today's 29th Annual Dana Point Concours d'Elegance vintage car show at the ultra-chic St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort.

I grew up in a car family - our version of a backyard barbecue or going to the movies was attending concours events and car shows on the weekends. Heck, sometimes we even hosted the car shows in our own back yard.  So, it feels like home to me - walking amongst the vintage cars - the smell of exhaust and leather cleaner in the air.  Ahh....

Today I saddled-up on my Harley and rode down Pacific Coast Highway to one of Orange County's best concours events - the Dana Point Concours d'Elegance (which in French literally translates to 'A Competetion of Elegance').  And spent the best part of my afternoon wandering amongst the classic cars and motorcycles on display - from exotic Ferraris to brightly-colored Chevys to a rare Vincent Black Shadow motorcycle and everything else in between.

I love the subtle beauty of cars & motorcycles - they are so much more than just a mode of transportation. They are an art-form. I remember a quote from Sir William Lyons, the founder of Jaguar Cars, that said, "The car is the closest thing we can create to something that is alive." I couldn't agree more.


No comments:

Post a Comment